50 Year Timeline

  1960s  |   1970s  |   1980s  |   1990s  |   2000s

1957

  • On July 5, bill signed by Governor Goodwin J. Knight authorizing the establishment of Stanislaus State College in Stanislaus County, the 15th in the state college system.

1959

  • On December 9, a Turlock site for the college at Monte Vista Avenue and Geer Road unanimously approved by the State Public Works Board.

1960

  • J. Burton Vasché, Ed.D., appointed President of Stanislaus State College.
  • Instruction began at Stanislaus County Fairgrounds in Turlock on September 19 after opening ceremony. Student body numbers 756.
  • Dick Brown is elected first student body president after Associated Students organized. Warriors selected as mascot.

1961

  • First commencement held at Turlock High School Auditorium on January 28 after completion of fall semester. Twenty-five students receive degrees at mid-year ceremony from President Vasché.

1962

  • First Warrior Day held in May. Student body and faculty celebrated the selection of the Warrior mascot by arriving at the fairgrounds dressed in Native American attire.
  • Stanislaus State College Foundation incorporated as an auxiliary non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and assisting the educational services of the college.
  • President Vasché died. Gerard Crowley, Executive Dean, became acting president.

1963

  • First accreditation visit conducted by WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges). Two-year accreditation granted.
  • Dr. Alexander Capurso assumed presidency on June 1.

1964

  • Construction began on permanent new campus.
  • Ground broken for Yosemite Hall residential complex on Geer Road.

1965

  • Campus construction project on 220-acre site completed. Freshmen accepted for first time. Classes begin in September at new campus, which consists of the Library, Classroom Building, boiler plant facility, and Corporation Yard.
  • Open house held for six-county service area. An estimated 13,000 people visit campus.
  • Mid-year Commencement held for the first time in the Library on the new campus and then in open field where Amphitheatre later located.

1966

  • College campus dedication and accompanying activities on April 11.
  • College offered full four-year degree and graduate program for the first time.

1967

  • First sophomore class matriculated.

1968

  • Full-time student enrollment surpassed 1,000.

1969

  • President Capurso resigned. Dr. Carl Gatlin appointed President. Enrollment reached new high of 2,100.
  • Equal Opportunity Program established, providing enrollment opportunities for minority students from under-represented backgrounds.