- Bachelor of Arts, Spanish
- Supporting fields and minors: American Sign Language, Italian, Portuguese, Latin American Studies
- Spanish Concentration for Liberal Studies majors
- Spanish majors and minors often combine their Spanish degrees with teaching certificates, a single-subject waiver, or second majors.
- Spanish Translator, $42,000
- Spanish Teacher, $59,000
- Interpreter, $43,000
- Labor Relations Manager, $101,000
- Hospice Chaplain, $59,000
- Philosophy Instructor, $55,000
- Jason Winfree (Chair), Ph.D., Vanderbilt ('01)
- Carlos Andrés, Ph.D., Wisconsin ('95)
- Teresa Bargetto-Andrés, Ph.D., Wisconsin ('97)
- Sandra Garcia-Sanborn, ABD, UC Berkeley
- Enrique López-Contreras, Ph.D., Simon Bolivar Univ. ('97)
- Manuel Murrieta-Saldivar, Ph.D., Arizona State ('98)
The college offers 16 majors and 23 minors at the undergraduate level in addition to fi ve degrees and one certifi cate program offered at the graduate level.
Explore Further: Department Web site »
Majors and minors in Modern Languages are designed to assist students as they plan careers. Some students anticipate teaching while others are training to meet the challenges of advanced studies in language and literature. As students gain knowledge and understanding of other languages and cultures, they inevitably develop a greater a appreciation of their own.
Where can your degree take you? Some possible career paths stemming from a Modern Language education include: social sciences, foreign service, international finance and banking, international business, translation, journalism, the Peace Corps, the airline industry, and immigration.
- Cultura y Literatura Chicana
- Elementary Italian
- Portuguese Conversation
- American Sign Language
- La Novela Hispánica
SPAN 3970:Contemporary Latin-American Prose in Translation
Studies in various aspects of Latin-American prose in English translation. Conducted in English, the content of this course may vary from term to term.
- Refined communication skills in written and spoken Spanish
- Literature, language, and culture from the Hispanic world, including California
- Exposure to Italian, Portuguese, and Sign Language
Fax: (209) 667-3526
Vasche Library, Room 185
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382