Junior Camp - Band, Orchestra & Piano
(Grades 6-8): June 15-21, 2014
Senior Camp - Band, Orch., & Choir (Gr. 9-12): June 22-28, 2014
(pianists-please apply for advanced piano camp)
Advanced Piano Camp (ages 14-18, by audition only): June 22-28
New Format For Senior Pianists!
(Pianists, ages 13 or younger - please register for Junior Camp)
The Advanced Piano Camp (APC) is an intensive, one-week program that runs simultaneously with SMAS Senior Camp and includes masterclasses, performances, individual lessons, and duet chamber music. Eight outstanding pianists will be chosen based on auditions to attend the camp, where they will average 4-5 hours a day of practice and rehearsal time, as well as spend 2-3 hours daily in lessons and masterclasses. All students will perform in a duet recital on Friday and a studio recital on Saturday of camp week. All aspects of the camp will be taught by Dr. Benjamin Boren.
Any Pianist aged *14-18 (age at time of camp).
*Pianists who are 13 will be considered, but may incur extra charges if they are a Resident during the camp.
How to apply:
- Complete the Advanced Piano Camp Registration Form
- Send an AUDIO OR VIDEO performance of yourself (1 piece or sonata movement) to Dr. Boren by:
- Uploading a video to Youtube and sending Dr. Boren the link (email@example.com)
- Sending an audio file by email.
- Sending a CD or DVD of your performance to:
Dr. Benjamin Boren
Attn: SMAS Advanced Piano Camp
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
IMPORTANT 2014 DEADLINES:
- By May 1st – All audition performances must be received
- By May 5th – Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status
- By May 15st – Accepted students must submit their printed application and payment and email Dr. Boren of their intent to attend camp.
Students should prepare and bring to camp:
- At least two (2) PERFORMANCE READY pieces to play in public masterclasses and the end-of-camp recital (sonata movements may count as individual pieces).
- At least two (2) other pieces in various forms of readiness to work on in individual lessons.
- Duet repertoire (sent by Dr. Boren in advance of camp)
Sample Daily Schedule:
1-4pm: Individual Lessons/Practice
4:30-6pm: Duet Lessons
6-10pm: Dinner/Recreational Events with SMAS Senior camp
- All Masterclasses will be open to the public.
- All Individual Lessons can be observed by other students.
- All Students will receive:
- A minimum of 2 Individual Lessons (45mins each)
- A minimum of 2 Masterclass Performances (30mins each)
- Students will average 5-6 hours a day to practice
- Extra Lessons are available at for $75/hour
- Dr. Boren will give a shared solo recital during the camp:
- As many as 3 students will share the performance with Dr. Boren
- These students will be chosen based on their auditions
California State University Stanislaus
Department of Music
One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382
Fax: (209) 664-7027
Summer Music at Stanislaus - Dedicated to encouraging young musicians to reach their highest potential