Budget Central

State Budget Update and a Call to Advocacy

To: The Campus Community

From: Ham Shirvani, President

Subject: State Budget Update and a Call to Advocacy

California began a new budget year on July 1 without a spending plan and it does not appear there is any agreement on the horizon between state legislators and the governor on how to close the $19.1 billion deficit.

One area where there appears to be an accord between the governor, legislators, and the 10-member conference committee is that there should be a restoration of $305 million to the CSU’s
2010-11 budget, as well an additional $60.6 million for enrollment growth. This would partially address the unprecedented cuts of $625 million in state support to the CSU over the past two years.

The proposal to restore this funding would allow the CSU to admit an additional 29,000 students, if we can get a budget in time to enroll them, including 400 students at CSU Stanislaus.

As budget negotiations continue, it is imperative that we communicate with our elected officials to remind them of the importance of higher education to the state, and to this region in particular. A recent report (Web link here) on the California State University system’s fiscal influence in the state reported that CSU Stanislaus generates a total impact of $169 million annually on the regional economy and $268 million on the statewide economy.

During the budget negotiations I have made a point of keeping in touch with the legislators who represent this region, and will continue to do so. Assembly members Bill (26th District) and Tom Berryhill (25th District) and state senators Dave Cogdill (14th District) and Jeff Denham (12th District) are four of the lawmakers I have remained in contact with about our concerns for the future of higher education in this state.

You can also be an advocate for CSU Stanislaus and the region we serve. I invite you to contact members of the legislature and urge them to restore funding to the CSU. You can contact members of the State Senate through the links at http://www.sen.ca.gov/ and reach members of the State Assembly at http://www.assembly.ca.gov/. They need to hear our voices, not just as representatives of a great public university, but as residents of legislative districts concerned about California’s future.

As president, I am proud and fortunate to work with such dedicated faculty, staff, students, and administrators.  Our work together will continue to guide CSU Stanislaus through this period of crisis and position us to be even stronger in the future.

Economic impact report link:
http://oitweb5.csustan.edu/news/news_story_full.aspx?WNTNEWS_ID=4121

Updated: 03/04/2011
California State University Stanislaus